Sunday, November 27, 2016

Tips for Taking the Board Exams

Hi there! I recently passed my licensure exam last October 15-17, and I'm going to share my tips and experiences during our review and the examination period. Do take note that while these activities worked for me, it might not work for others. Read my other post for my "Journey" of becoming an engineer.

1. KNOW YOUR and UNDERSTAND SELF.

This is probably one of the most important tip, because it will be a factor in making your review routine. "Knowing oneself is basic to knowing others." haha. But seriously, you have to know your self, and know yourself well. What is your most efficient time to review? How do you review efficiently? Are you a fast learner or a slow learner? Do you prefer noisy or silent places? It all starts with knowing yourself. 


What's that? You don't know yourself yet? It's okay. You have the first few months of your review to experiment and try different routines to see which best suits you. I myself, only discovered that I am more efficient in answering objective type questions using an application, or in my case then, Excel's Take 'N Exam. I discovered that upon answering a question incorrectly, the correct answer registers in my subconscious. It somehow relates some words in the question to the correct answer. By the time I realized this, there was only more or less 40 days before the board exam. But going to a computer shop and answering a lot of questions was worth it. 

2. KNOW YOUR CALCULATOR.

Your calculator is technically your best friend, so be nice to him/her. Don't drop him/her. I don't know if this is true or maybe it's only in my mind: I love all my gadgets, and I trust them. In turn, they don't give up on me. Hahaha, I know it's bit on the crazy side, but it works for me. Okay, back to topic: your calculator. You have to also know him/her by heart. Know all of the functions, all of the keys, all of the stuff that he/she can do, so you can do almost anything together. Read your calculator's manual. Also, remove the cover. You have to get used to using it without the cover, because in the exam, the calculator's cover will not be allowed. Get comfortable with it. Use it always. Treat it sometimes. Haha just kidding. 

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Casio_fx-991ES_Calculator_New.jpg

3. BASICS

You must NOT skip the basics. Basic concepts and foundations of engineering. Laws of exponents, laws of logarithms, diode fundamentals, etc. A tip that I never employed was, during the first months of review, READ. Read books, master the concepts. Then towards the later months of the review, concentrate on answering as much questions as you can. And also, ANSWER THE TAKE HOME EXAMS given by the review center. I cannot stress this enough. You must also make yourself comfortable with the concepts and formulas so you can answer anything. 

4. REVIEWING IS DYNAMIC.

Studying following your routine can be a bit tedious at times. Don't be afraid to experiment and try new things. You'll be surprised at the outcomes. Try studying at different places. Try different foods. (While reviewing, of course) This will diversify your routine and can help in memory absorption.

https://www.facebook.com/106004266120967/photos/a.112769518777775.22633.106004266120967/1108929932495057/?type=3

5. DON'T BE AFRAID TO TAKE A BREAK.

Be a friend to yourself and take a break! It's not bad. You need to rest. Sleep was my friend during my review. When I could not understand anything, I would take a nap. But sometimes I end up sleeping. Haha. a 30min-1hour power nap would be optimal. Don't be intimidated by others that review all the time. 

Since we're talking about breaks and rest, you need to get sufficient sleep. 7-8 hours is best. But there are times that you just couldn't sleep, so don't worry. You'll get the much needed rest in your power naps during the day. And also, EAT. Eat breakfast, and snacks. When I would walk home during our review, I pass by a fastfood chain, and I would sometimes treat myself ice cream. Even if that day is not productive.



6. GET OXYGEN TO YOUR BODY. EXERCISE.

I mean, some simple walking and stretching is good. Since I am usually the last person in our dorm to go home, I just walk the distance. It's a 20-30 min walk home, but worth it. Sometimes I also buy some "spicy roasted peanuts" from a stall and eat it while I am walking. I initially planned on also walking in the morning, but I'm a sleepy head.

7. YOUR INSPIRATION AND MOTIVATION.

This differs from one person to another. But I'll share a tip that one of our instructors at Excel gave us, on the front page of your favorite notebook, put pictures of your inspiration: be it your parents, siblings, significant other, etc. You can also write your message there. So when you open your notes, the first thing you'll see are your inspirations and motivations. I did not do that, because I don't have any pictures of my family, nor Andrea. I did, however, put them always in my mind. Every time I think I cannot do it, or if I fail, the first thought that comes to my mind was my parents. What they did for me, what they sacrificed for me, how they love me. That, and with the unending support of my very handsome girlfriend. And it helped me through those times. 

8. HAVE CONFIDENCE and POSITIVE THINKING.

My English instructor back in high school said that the mind is a very powerful thing. It could trick you. Confidence, in taking any exam. You have to think and believe that you can do it, that you'll pass it. But of course, you wouldn't be able to do that if you haven't reviewed. Haha. Just believe in your self! :)


9. KEEP CALM AND TRUST YOUR BRAIN.

During any exam, keep calm and just clear your mind of anything. Trust your brain. You reviewed, right? Then you need not worry. Don't be alarmed if at anytime you try to force yourself to remember anything, you can't. But when the right time comes, you'll be amazed at what you can do. Just calm yo' selves. And when the going gets tough, just pray for guidance. Don't pray that you choose the correct answer, because it does not work that way. You need to trust your self, and in God. 

10. DURING THE ACTUAL BOARDS, DON'T TALK OR DISCUSS ANYTHING. 

I believe in the "POWER OF THE FIRST SUBJECT." It's Mathematics, for us ECEs. During lunch, don't talk to any of your classmates about anything. Why? It may dismay and/or disappoint you if you don't have the same answers, correct or not. This will affect your succeeding exams. Also, bring your lunch. After the exam, eat your lunch in peace and just relax. That way, there will no toxic thoughts about your previous subject. 

11. COUNT YOUR ANSWERS. 

This is very important. Our exam is 100 items each subject and we must have at least 70 on each. I suggest, put away your answer sheet. Just answer and encircle your answer on the question sheet. This way, you can avoid erasures. Try to finish the 100 items within two hours. Most of the examinees aren't able to finish the Math exam (read the whole 100  items). Just try. Don't be afraid to skip any items. You can always go back later. After you finished all 100 items in the first try, count what you think are correct answers. And this will become your goal, get AT LEAST 70 items you think you answered correctly. Nothing will get you lit up like getting at least 70 correct answers. 

12. HAVE FAITH AND TRUST IN GOD. 

This is basic, and everybody already has it. But what I want to say, is what Elder Bernard told us during our trip to LDS Church; that faith and doubt cannot coincide. If doubt exists in your mind, there is no space for faith, and if there is faith in your mind, there is no space for doubt. One will overthrow the other. So we must only have faith in our mind. 


That is it. Keep in mind though, that while these worked for me, it may or may not work for you. Every person is different, it goes to tip number 1, know your self. Well, 'till then. Cheers!









No comments:

Post a Comment