Tuesday, January 31, 2017

New Year, New Life.

As we go through each phase in our life, there are things we must learn to let go of. In my case, choosing a good start in my career, meant leaving all of my loved ones behind. In as much as I would want to work in the province, I cannot find a good opportunity to start my career in the IT industry, and as any person who desires to be in the industry, I made a decision to move into the Metro.

I started passing resumes after Christmas. I did that in hopes that there will be no scheduled interview during the holiday seasons. And sure enough, after a handful of resumes sent, I was called for an interview at 2 IT companies in Mandaluyong, and Makati, respectively. 

One problem of leaving the comforts of your home is finding a place to stay in an alien environment, so it's always a good idea to contact someone you know from the place you're going to. In my case, it's my cousin. I find their boarded house (I don't how to express it in english, lol) perfect because it lies in the middle of the places I was called for. 

I did my research on both companies: one provides business outsourcing to an Australian company, and the other, a Japanese owned company that specializes in software solutions for businesses. My interviews for both company went well, if I do say so myself. I find it hard to enter into the hardware specialization industry, due to my lack in "official" experiences. In the software division, however, I find a bit easier since I am more into programming. I do plan on improving my hardware skills in the future. 

After the initial and final interview for the Australian company, they texted me the morning after to inform me that I haven't passed the qualifications for the final interview. On the other-hand, the Japanese owned company barraged me with programming exams. Before the initial interview, there's an initial exam. I was told I passed and asked to come by the next day for the interview. Again, before the interview I had to undergo a Java exam, which I am completely unfamiliar with, then proceeded to the interview. And then, after the interview, I was again asked to take 2 more exams, a C, and a C++, if I remember correctly. I was lucky since most of the exams were multiple choice. I do have very basic knowledge on C++ as we had a computer subject back in high school, which was around 
9 years ago. The HR staff then told me to wait further instructions for the final interview. 

I didn't stop there, I still actively searched in Facebook (yep, the social networking site) for job opportunities, but alas, there were no other email replies I received at the time I was still in Manila. My parents asked me to come home for the mean time, because they already miss me (naks) and that my birthday was fast approaching.

I celebrated my birthday with my family, and of course, with my beloved girlfriend, Andrea, who surprised me with a breakfast! Yey! Still, I was searching for the perfect job opportunity in Facebook, Jobstreet, and Teradoor. 

I saw this post on facebook about a workshop/training for an IT distributor company, and as a fresh graduate with little to no experience, I need all the training I can get. It was free, and upon completion, you will be endorsed to the VP (I think) for an interview, then finally for a job offer. Unfortunately, I didn't fare well in the interview because their lobby was so cold (for someone like me who has a low threshold for cold temperatures), I didn't bring my water bottle, and I didn't know the possible job position after the training, which turned out to be pre-sales engineer. I suck at sales, or anything that is related for that matter. I am more versed in the technical aspects of a career.

After that, emails were slow. I was out of energy. Then a friend messaged me to try out a company on Monday (yesterday). I agreed, but that particular company, I was saving as my last resort, for I am confident enough that I can start a career with them. Last Sunday, I contacted them, and they both said that they will not make it. So I had to go there by my self. While waiting for the hiring process, I was informed that I will have an interview tomorrow (today), I accepted. Then an email arrived, also telling me that I have an appointment with them tomorrow. 

But little did I know, upon the final assessment, I thought there was another interview coming up. I was surprised when they handed us a contract for signing already. It was a one day hiring process. It was around 5 pm and I was already exhausted from the hiring process. So I was correct: my hypothesis was correct. I am scheduled for a medical exam tomorrow.

Friends, readers, strangers, I now have a job! 

The company is Accenture, and I'm now one of their prestigious Associate Software Engineers. I would also like to  say that my girlfriend, Andrea, also works for Accenture. Hurray for Relationship Goals! 

To my friends and to every one, don't give up. You'll get that degree. You'll get that diploma. You'll get that girl. You'll get that car. You'll get that job. The important thing is, you have to be persistent in chasing your goals. We all know now that failure is one of the first steps in learning, so don't give up and learn from your mistakes. 

Thank you for reading and have a good day! Cheers!

1 comment: