Sunday, November 3, 2013

How to Combine Your Facebook Cover Photo and Profile Picture Together using GIMP

Hey everybody! Did you guys heard of the Great Giraffe Challenge? (facebook link) I have, and I failed that's why I changed my facebook profile picture into a giraffe for a week. (._. (The original riddle says only 3 days but the guy I got the question from said 1 week) Andrew Strugnell, the creator of the riddle, says he will release a riddle weekly. [1] Luckily I answered the second riddle correct.

Now I will teach you how to do this, in GIMP.
My previous facbook profile. I just changed it :P



You might have encountered this kinds of profiles across facebook, cool right? When I first saw this, I was like AWESOME! Might have taken forever to get this correctly. It was until recently that I found out how to do this, and this giraffe thingy urged me to this. I just had to. So, here we go!

1. Google! (Or if you already have your own, proceed to step 2)
Okay, first we need some images. I went ahead and googled an image I liked, it could be anything. Be creative! In my case, some giraffey goodness. (Because yeah, I answered it wrong.)
The Giraffe Image I Googled.
2. Take a Screenshot.
Now that we have an image, upload it to facebook and make it your cover photo, adjust accordingly and take a screenshot.

  • -Press the PrtSc button on your keyboard.
  • -Open Microsoft Paint. (either through the Run command or the Accessories option. If you're running Windows 8, just Search "paint" and click it.)
  • -Paste the clipboard data (which is the Print Screen Data) on the Paint. Voila, you now have your screenshot. Now save it, name it like "Screenshot" or something.
3. Open GIMP.
We now have everything we need. First load up the Screenshot, then open the Image(the giraffe) as a new image. You should now have two tabs.
You should have two tabs, one for each image.

Go to the Screenshot tab and select around the cover photo using the Rectangle Select Tool. Copy it then paste it to the Giraffe tab. (Edit>Paste as>New layer). Change the Pasted Layer's Opacity until you can slightly see through it. In my case, the background image is larger than the Pasted Layer. It is ideal that this is so so that you can preserve the quality in the images. Now scale and move the Pasted Layer accordingly until it lines up/matches with the background layer. Make sure you check/click on the Chain icon when scaling to scale it uniformly. You should now have something like this:
We're almost done! 

The matching doesn't have to be perfect. As long as you get it on the profile picture side, you're good to go. Now make another Rectangle Selection on the profile picture part, just inside the white border. Make sure that the background layer is selected, then Copy it, then Ctrl+Shift+V. That will paste the image on a new image. O.o 
Just a little bit more! Please excuse my Profile Picture :D

Aaaand you're aalmost done! You now have your profile picture! Now export that image into a *.png, and you're ready for the final step.
You should end up with this. Yeah.


4. Upload!Congratulations! You just made your profile a zoo! No, I'm just kidding. Upload it and check if its a perfect fit. It should. If you're gonna change your profile into a giraffe, might as well make the most of it, right?

That's about it. Hope you learned something and that you enjoyed doing this tutorial. 'Til the next Giraffe Riddle! Cheers! ✌

No comments:

Post a Comment