Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Rufus, the Life Saver.

Last November 30, I finally decided to reformat my laptop and change operating systems. My current systems were Windows 7 Ultimate and Windows 8 Pro. Yes, I while back I decided to dual boot. My main OS (Operating System) was Windows 8 Pro, and because of that, some of the programs I use are not yet supported by Windows 8. So I decided to dual boot. 
I started reading forums on how to do this. (Friendly tip: If you are experiencing errors/problems on your system, search google! Maybe someone had that problem and fixed it ☺) I was kinda worried because I couldn't find exactly what I was searching for - dual boot with windows 8 installed first. Most of the things I read were install the older OS first so as not to rewrite the boot record (or something like that haha), because older OS don't support newer boot records, Backwards compatibility. So it was recommended to install Windows 7 first. 

Fortunately, I came accross something that says this was possible with the help of an application - VisualBCD. So, I went ahead and tried it. Luckily, it worked! So there, I now have a dual boot on my system. 

It was going pretty well, the dual boot and all. But Windows 8, as with all other OS'es, when you've installed a number of programs, become a bit slow. That, and I was liking the Windows 7, unfortunately I only partitioned it to 20gb, not enough space. I only had like 2.96gb left after installing the basic programs I needed. I was unable to extend it because it was a logical partition. There was this thing, the gparted thing that was said to do it but I'm going to reformat it anyway, so yeah.

Let's get started! Okay, so I installed Windows 7 first, as it should. No problem there. Installed the required drivers. And then when I get to the part where I should install Windows 8.1, I encountered a problem. It says it cannot install on an MBR disk. My friend, Aljo, recently installed 8.1, he also had the same problem and to fix it, he deleted all of the partitions, formatted it and poof! It installed like a charm. I spent the night researching on any other possible ways, but unfortunately, that's what everyone else was saying - delete partition, format. I just couldn't afford to delete my partitions, it takes time to backup gigabytes of data and I'm lazy to partition it again.

I even tried formatting it again, installing windows 8.1 first, but sadly it still doesn't work. So, I stayed up late still researching. Yes, I don't give up hope that easily. I saw somewhere that I had to format the flashdrive into an MBR compatible something. But still, I got nothing. So I just slept.

The Rufus Interface. (Photo from their site)

The next morning, while searching again for a solution, I came across this website. I don't exactly remember where, but it offered an application to create a bootable flashdrive. I personally don't use them anymore since they take up some time to set up, like the Novicorp. But this was a different application, for it offered the ability to change the partition scheme and target system type. I jumped out of bed as I saw that. I quickly grabbed the flashdrive and used it. Worked like a charm! And it was fast too! And I woke up to a happy first of December! The whole morning I was just smiling for I have accomplished my mission. Plus, in that same morning, I was so hyped that I finished a book! Yay! It was only a small book but I finished it! Mission complete plus a bonus!

Well, that's my experience installing Windows 8.1 on an MBR disk. Just remember, when you really like something, pursue it. Have patience, it will pay out handsomely in the end. Here's the link to their website. http://rufus.akeo.ie/ It's an awesome program. If you're into software troubleshooting like me, it's a definite must have. Till then, cheers!  ✌

No comments:

Post a Comment